Saturday, December 25, 2010

Sports..what's not to love, or at least like, or at least tolerate?

There are a few times of the year when I really feel sorry for those who don't get the enjoyment out of sports that I and many others do -- March Madness, NBA playoffs (when the Bulls are in it of course)...or any playoffs for that matter, and college football bowl season are a few that come to mind....and yes, that list pretty much encompasses the entire sports calender. If you're not gonna get excited about sports I can understand that I suppose, but what I really don't understand is when people develop a negative reaction towards anything "sports".  Again, I'm not saying that everyone must love sports or even like it, but what is it about watching the best athletes in the world out battle each other with so much on the line under extraordinary pressure that not only makes someone not interested but disgusted?  This, I don't get.  Is it a hatred of competition in general?  Like giving everyone a "congratulations for competing even if you weren't as good as your oppoenent "trophy?  Athletics is a wonderful thing, not only for enjoyment for couch potatoes but also for kids growing up.  Learning lessons such as overcoming adversity, enjoying competition, valuing hard work and teamwork, showing good sportsmanship, developing leadership skills, etc I suppose could all be learned in other ways, maybe, but they certainly can all be developed and learned with sports.  Even forgetting all that stuff, and simply enjoying the entertainment, what's the problem? 

It's also unique in this respect:  we can watch athletes participate in the same sport that we played in growing up.  Those who played baseball know exactly how difficult it is to lay off a curve ball one pitch after being fooled on a 90mph fastball.  Or knowing how fatigued we get during a game of 3 on 3 halfcourt, let alone a triple OT game 7.  Or watching a football player make several mistakes only to bounce back with a game-winning play.  Is there a comparison to this in any other form?

Like I said, I can understand that not everyone schedules their weekend around the Bears game, but I have a hard time understanding those who can't at least see the intrigue of sports in general.  What's to hate?  I don't yearn for the next Art Institute exhibit, but I don't recoil in horror when someone mentions it...

2 comments:

  1. Is this directed at someone in particular?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Medical Assistant. Every monday she comes in saying how her living room TV was hijacked by her husband and kids so they could watch the Bears. I always ask her what she wanted to watch instead and she always says nothing, just anything but football...And she hates when patients come in wearing their Bears gear on friday afternoon.

    ReplyDelete