Monday, December 13, 2010

It's my money, and I need it NOW!!

Yeah, how annoying is that commercial?

Anyway, on a semi-related note:  Carmelo is apparently saying that he will only sign an extension if traded to New York.  I guess he doesn't need his money NOW(!) but he'll get it soon enough.  I would have concerns about this if I were New York, or any team trading for a player who demanded a trade.  But this situation is a little different.  'Melo's not just demanding a trade but he's determining the destination.  I would hesitate to sign a player to massive money who will only apparently be satisfied playing for one team.  For a player who has had questions about his night-in night-out effort, this seems to send the message that he'll only try hard if he gets his way.  This certainly isn't new, but what's most concerning is that he wants New York, seemingly b/c it provides the spotlight.  So is basketball secondary?  He only has the fire to win if he's in the spotlight?  That bothers me.  I can't imagine Derrick Rose trying less b/c he's not in his preferred city.  He has that desire to win and fear of losing that great players have, no matter how bright the lights shine.  I don't think a true competitor can turn it off and on like like that.  NY, you can have 'Melo...

No comments:

Post a Comment