Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Michigan - ND: Ah, Memories

As Kramer said: "The cat is...out of the bag."

I used to be a Notre Dame fan.  A massive Notre Dame fan - an actual fanatic.  Some of my earliest sports memories revolved around my love of Notre Dame football.  I remember Rocket returning 2 kicks for touchdowns.  I remember Tony Rice running the option to perfection.  I remember my brief catatonic state as Rocket's punt return was called back on the phantom clipping penalty.  I remember walking in to my Bar Mitzvah introduction to, what else, Wake up the Echoes.  I remember Kevin McDougal inextricably beating Michigan in the Big House.

Then it changed.

My acceptance letter came and poof.  Gone.  Traded in my blue and gold for maize and blue.  Touchdown Jesus for, um, well UofM doesn't need any assistance from the almighty.

As it happened, my first Michigan game as a student (and as defending national champions) was a loss to the Fighting Irish.  Of course.

Michigan is 8-5 against the Irish, including winning 5 of the last 6, since I said yes to Ann Arbor.  People always ask me if there's any part of me that still roots for Notre Dame.  Putting aside all the riff-raff surrounding Notre Dame's unwarranted exposure and unnecessary hype....the answer is NO!

Go Blue!!


No comments:

Post a Comment