Monday, November 22, 2010

The Notebook? Seriously?

When I go to the gym, I usually run on the treadmill while watching something on the tube that passes the time.  If it's saturday or sunday afternoon in the fall - and to answer Hank Williams Jr's question - Yes, I'm ready for some football.  When I walked into my building's mini gym over the weekend prepared to contemplate what exactly the Michigan defense does all day during practice, I anticipated watching whatever football game was on at the time.  Iowa-Ohio State, Illinois-Northwestern, or even (gulp) whatever fill-in-the-blank service academy team Notre Dame was probably playing all would've been fine.  But when I walked in, there was a guy on one of the two treadmills and the TV was already on.  It was a commercial at the time, but I figured I was in good shape; younger looking guy, saturday afternoon, I mean what else would he have on?  Well, turns out he didn't sign on to the social contract that is/should be in place.  So instead, I got this:


4 comments:

  1. Bri Blog...I like it, although, as previously discussed, I may refer to each of your posts individually as a BRant. In response to this BRant, I will ask: If The Notebook is the worst, or among the worst, movies that could be on during a workout, what are the best? Obvious choices are the great sports movies -- Hoosiers, Rudy, Miracle. But even if it's Hoosiers, it would have to be at the right moment. I wouldn't want to get on the treadmill and have to watch Gene Hackman and Barbara Hershey walking through the Indiana corn fields engaging in awkward make-out sessions. However, I'd probably be able to push myself for another mile if I'm watching Jimmy hit his last shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bri--You were destined to start this blog, but I don't know why it took so long. You were born 31 years ago on Thanksgiving Day. If I remember correctly, I was watching the Bears/Lions game. Mom said she was ready to go to the hospital. I asked her if she could wait 'til halftime. Actually, Mom waited until the game ended was over, and the Bears won. So sports were in your genes from day one. Good luck in your blogging. Dud

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah Aric, and keep in mind the tv was muted as well. The Hoosiers soundtrack during the "our team is finally coming together and now we have Jimmy" montage would've been missed, but still would've been able to appreciate all those set shots.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure if it was unmuted you would have totally gotten into The Notebook. I actually watched a whole episode of Oprah on a treadmill once. I think that's worse.

    ReplyDelete